Our Main Sponsor

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Lessons from a marathon runner

Lessons from a marathon runner
Source: Christine Caine

I have discovered that many lessons can be learned from the discipline and determination of athletes. The Apostle Paul emphasizes the importance of training and discipline. I like to run, and Paul's vivid description of running to win in life inspired me to do some research on what makes a marathon runner tick.
I studied their preparation, their training techniques, mental attitudes and lots of other aspects of running. (admittedly, I did not initially realize there were so many aspects to running!) I discovered that the very principles that are foundational for running a marathon in the natural are equally applicable to running our spiritual race.

1. Visualize the Whole Race

An experienced marathon runner will have visualized their whole race – the entire 40 kilometers from start to finish – before they set off. Long-distance runners get to grips with the race internally, in their heart, before ever seeing foot on the course. Runners prepare themselves mentally so that they are not caught out by these changes in the landscape when they occur. The visualization process empowers runners for what lies ahead.

We need the same overall sense of vision for every area of our lives. Having a clear picture of what the race of life is all about, where we are heading, and what we are likely to encounter along the way will sustain us for the entire duration. Keeping the end in sight will help us keep going when things are tough – when we are struggling over rough terrain or labouring up hills. Proverbs 29:18 in the King James Version says, "Where there is no vision, the people perish." Many people do not finish their race simply through of long-term vision. At the first sign of opposition, difficulty or adversity, they simply give up.

2. Be Ready for Challenges.

Whilst having a vision for our lives is critical, it does not immunize us against the obstacles and pitfalls that will inevitably crop up. In life, things we don't like happen! It's just a fact and there is nothing we can do about it. John 16:33 says "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. Bt take heart! I have overcome the world." (NIV)

Jesus made it clear that trials will come in life, but we do not have to drop out of the race because of them. By maintaining our vision, we can stay on track. I have encountered many trials and challenges in my race thus far (and I'm sure there are many ore ahead).

One of the first real challenges that I encountered in my own marathon came when I made the decision to enroll in Bible school in order to begin to move forward in my calling. Not only was this something that no one in my family had ever done, but it was also generally frowned upon by the wider community of which I was a part. I had to stand alone in this decision and remain steadfast in my convictions even though everyone whom I loved and cared about had removed their support from my life. The pressure was so intense during this time that I almost gave up, but the vision that God had placed in my heart sustained me. I knew then that Gods plan for my life was to preach all over the world and see lives transformed by the power of the Gospel. It was the presence of long-term vision that helped me endure that very difficult season I my life.

3. Do Not Devalue the Preparation Process

Many people are not where they are supposed to be when it comes time for God to promote them simply because they have not been committed to preparation. As a result, they miss out on or defer the progress of their destiny. We live in a culture that places no value on the anonymity of preparation. Understanding that it is a vital part of our overall journey, people always look for a shortcut! But preparation is essential if God is going to make us into who we need to be so that we can do what we're called to do.

In 2 Kings 2;14 we read about moment when it came time for Elisha to be release into his destiny. He "took the mantle of Elijah that had fallen from him." It turned out that timing and position were absolutely vital to the fulfillment of Elisha's destiny. If he had not been fully committed in serving Elijah and not doggedly pursued him (even when Elijah tried to get rid of him) then he would not have been in the right place at the right time to take up the mantle of Elijah. This proves that what we do in our preparation time will determine our destiny. Everything matters. We have to learn not to devalue any part of the preparation process because every part is important.

These three lessons only scratch the surface of what we can learn from the art of a marathon runner. This month I want to encourage you to renew your vision, be ready for challenges and to always value the preparation process!

Useful link: www.equipandempower.org




___________________________________________________________
All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

No comments:

Post a Comment