Our Main Sponsor

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Keep it simple

Source: Joyce Meyer

Years ago, I lived a very complicated life. For example, there were many
times I wanted to have people in our home on the weekends for times of
recreation, relaxation, and fun fellowship. More often than not, though,
when these get-togethers were over, I ended up exhausted! Why? Because I
didn't know how to live a simple life.

I say my life was complicated, but the truth is, I was the one who
complicated my own life. My approach to life needed to change so I could
enjoy it.

Ideas to have people over started out simple enough. Dave and I would ask
one or two couples over for a simple outdoor barbeque. But then I would add
others to the invitation list because I didn't want anyone's feelings to be
hurt.

Before the group arrived, I felt that the house had to be immaculate, so I
cleaned everything in sight. I thought the lawn needed to be perfectly
manicured, so I made sure it was. Then I wanted new patio furniture-or at
least a fresh coat of paint on the old furniture we had. So that was another
job that had to be done.

Finally, I would make sure all the children looked as though they had just
stepped out of the pages of a magazine. Of course, my own appearance wasn't
excluded. I felt I needed to be wearing just the right outfit and have every
hair in just the right place.

When it came to preparing the food, I started with an easy menu-something
like hamburgers on the grill, a bowl of baked beans, some potato chips, and
a store-bought dessert. But I always changed my plans because I wanted to
impress my guests.

I bought steaks instead of hamburgers and spent considerable time making
homemade potato salad and enough additional side dishes to feed a small
army. Where drinks were concerned, I didn't believe iced tea, water, coffee,
and lemonade were sufficient, so I made sure we also offered four or five
different kinds of soda pop. By the time my guests arrived, I was too tired
to enjoy them, and at times found myself resenting them for being there!

Even during their visit, I kept working. If they walked into my kitchen, I
practically followed them with a broom to make sure they didn't track crumbs
onto my carpet. If they put down a glass, I snatched it up and washed it.
Then I had the nerve to resent everyone else because I was working so hard
and they were enjoying themselves!

I ended up hosting parties I didn't enjoy, for people we were not even close
to, serving food we couldn't afford. I was an expert when it came to
complicating even the simplest things.

After many experiences such as the one I just described, I came to a point
in my life where I knew God was dealing with me about simplicity. I began to
realize more and more how complicated my life had actually become-and even
worse-I realized it was all my fault. And if I wanted things to be different
and my life to be simpler, I was the one who would have to do the changing.

I also realized that my thought processes were complicated as well. My
relationship with God was complicated because I was trying to earn His love
and acceptance instead of simply receiving it by faith. Everything about my
life was complicated. I thought I had a lot of complex problems, but I was
actually complicating things for myself with my approach to life, people,
and everyday situations. I was complicated on the inside; so naturally,
everything about my life externally was complicated too.

Let me encourage you today to start making decisions without second-guessing
yourself or worrying about the choices you make. Don't be double-minded or
wishy-washy, because doubting your decisions after you make them will only
serve to steal the enjoyment from everything you do.

Make the best decisions you can, and trust God with the results. Don't be
anxious or afraid of being wrong. Be decisive. Whatever you need to do in
life, just do it-and remember to keep it simple!

For more on this topic, you may order Joyce's new book The Secret to True
Happiness visiting www.joycemeyer.org.

Useful link: www.joycemeyer.org

No comments:

Post a Comment