Our Main Sponsor

Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Season of Oppurtunity

A season of opportunity

Source: Christine Caine

The holidays are filled with many things – family, friends and FOOD just to name a few. I happen to love food, all food, but I especially love Greek food! It really is the best in the world, and I'm not just saying that because it is the cuisine of my people.


It's simply a fact (at least I my opinion).

Much to my delight, I have the opportunity to eat Greek meals in restaurants all over the world because I travel so much; and while some are better than others, they all pale in comparison to the Greek food that is made by the hands of my mum. Her cooking really is the best in the world, and I'm not just saying that because she is my mother. It's simply a fact (at least in my opinion). There just is nothing like her home-cooked moussaka, yemista, taramosalata or Greek salad.

I cannot reveal to you the secret of her recipes that have been handed down for many generations, because then I'd have to kill you. I can, however, share this cooking tip of hers with you: Mum always says, "Christine, the right amount of salt is the definitive factor in the making of every great meal." Too little salt, and the meal is unmemorable and the guests leave full but still unsatisfied. Too much salt, and everyone's lips get that pruned feeling – and the next morning they can't remove the rings from their hands because their fingers are fat, bloated little sausages. It's hared to get those guest to come back a second time. Not good.

Jesus told us that we are the salt of the earth and we need to ensure that we are deliberately and carefully seasoning the world around us properly. Too little, and the people with whom we have relationships leave our presence glad to have seen us, but still feeling unsatisfied in their souls. Too much, and they are repelled – and it's very difficult to get a second chance to witness to them.

We are all called to bring out the "God flavours" in our part of the world, and we are each responsible for the "taste of God we leave with others.

This holiday season I want to encourage you to be looking for opportunities where you can be salt. Whether it be at work, home or gathered around the Christmas dinner table, this is your season to bring out the God flavours in your world!

Useful link: www.equipandempower.org

No comments:

Post a Comment