Our Main Sponsor

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fw: Circular letter

This is my spiritual director's, Fr Julian, sharing:
 
----- Original Message -----
From: Fr Julian
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 9:25 PM
Subject: Circular letter

Dear friends,
 
This is just to update you on what has been happening since I last wrote. Well exams are over...at least for the 1st year! I am now on a 3 month holiday. Before you go envying me, it it not all play! I am using this July to deepen whatever little Italian I still remember from days in Perugia where I first started learning it, exactly a year ago. By the way I plan to visit the good people there (Don Luciano, the parish priest and the Sisters and parishioners) next week for a few days. (To get away from this scorching heat in Rome too!). In August, I will be in Siena, about 4hours north of Rome. I will serve in a parish for a month while the PP is away. It would be a good experience and an opportunity to really use Italian. Staying at the convitto with English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Bahasa (even Tamil) to converse with, not forced to learn Italian. So, now being thrown into the deep end. That is why I am using this time in July to re-visit the language books! Then in Sept, plan to do some travelling around Italy and if budget allows, Europe. It also depends of the 'Permit of Stay', whether it has been issued to me by then, to allow me to return into Italy. 
 
Well, I have told you my plans for the next 3 months, now what has been happening for the past week since the exams. After completing a hectic year preparing for the Baccalauereate in Church History, I finished all the exams last week. This is an integrative programme, a 3 year course compressed into a minimum of a year (2 semesters), for those with a Bacca in Theology. If all goes well I will begin my Licentiate in Oct for 2 years. Since the exams, I have been eating out almost every alternate day. With farewell lunches and dinners for some going back home, after running the race and completed their studies. There is also assisting new arrivals, one priest each from Archdiocese of KK and Kuching registering at the Msian Embassy. Moving stuff from one college to another.
 
The highlight for me was the opportunity to meet the Pope on Monday, 30th June, 2008! After attending the Mass of Sts Peter & Paul at St Peter's Basilica, where Archbishop John Lee received his Pallium fro the Holy Father, I was told that Abishop John will meet the Pope on Monday. I am grateful to Abishop John for including me as one of the 2 'family members' that will meet the Holy Father personally. I missed the opportunity when Abishop Pakiam invited me during the Ad Limina visit early in June, due to exams. I was not going to let this 2nd chance go by! Even though the encounter with His Holiness was very brief, 10 secs or so, it was a moment to savour. The Holy Father is a true gentleman, refined and polished, an intellectual yet so down to earth. He oozes with simplicity and humility.
 
Back from cloud 9, life goes on. The convitto where I stay is almost deserted except for a handful who are about to leave soon. I am lucky to have Fr Aloysious Ong from S'pore, who will be here in the convitto over the hols, working on his thesis. At least a companion this July and a travelling mate in Sept. We will be together in St Paul's College end Sept where I will be moving to. Will miss the best gelato (ice-cream!) in Rome, which is near my current convitto now! That's life!
 
Will keep each of you in prayer as I know we are in yours too. Take care and God Bless.
 
Really 'warm' regards,
Julian
 

No comments:

Post a Comment